Sunday, January 15, 2012

Bhutan Discussions to continue next week

kuenselonline » Blog Archive » Discussions to continue next week:


NC’s legislative committee chairperson, Kinley Tshering, said that, although they did not receive NA’s amended permissible quantity, they doubled the permissible quantity of tobacco to 400 cigarettes, 60 cigars and 300 grams of chewing tobacco. “We did it after deliberation.”
While the council has agreed to about 22 amendments proposed by the assembly, the council will deliberate on section 11, 51A and 51B on Monday.
Thimphu councillor Sangay Zam said that it’s important to balance the principle of proportionality of crime and penalty with spiritual and cultural interest.
In the afternoon, NC members queried the health minister on whether the amendment of rules will curb tobacco smuggling, and whether the amended law will apply retrospectively.
Haa councillor Tshering Dorji said curbing corruption should be more serious than tobacco.  He also said that, while some people serve prison terms for the crime, some still continue to smuggle in tobacco.
Lyonpo Zangley Dukpa said it was up to the judiciary to apply the law retrospectively.  He said that people are taking the Act seriously, as people were still apprehended in December.

I need to link to the Dragon Tales Blog as they cover the Bhutan tobacco prohibition thing better than I am,I just want everything I can find in one place.

I know people wonder why I still care,it isn't just an example of injustice or what could happen to me at some point in the future,I'm upset and scared because I'm Buddhist by choice.

I wasn't born into the region and I have no ties to the people from Bhutan,but I have a kinship of sorts and it makes this feel personal to me in more ways than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment